Greetings

Dallas has few diversions other than eating, drinking and shopping.....and shopping does not interest us.
So we spend our time hopping from restaurant to restaurant and to every pub that we can find in search of the perfect meal and the perfect beer.

We randomly review restaurants and bars, dishes and beers at whim and give our brutally honest opinions of our findings. And while we concentrate on Dallas, we travel far and wide to sample cuisine from all regions of the country and beyond.



Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Beer Review - CoCoNut Porter

Maui Brewing Company Coconut Porter - 6.0% ABV

When the beertender offered me Coconut Porter from Hawaii, I must admit that I paused, undecided on whether or not a beer that tasted of coconuts would be worth my hard earned dollars.  But as that Brandon knows that I am not a fan of fruity beers I decided to give it a chance.  This was my first foray into the offerings of the Maui Brewing Company and am happy to be able to report that I was not dissappointed.

The color is dark, almost black, as you would expect a porter to be, with a substantial head that persists leaving some decent lacing.  You will also smell the typical malts, coffee and nuts, but none of the coconut that you expect.  And even though the porter is made using toasted coconut, I was completely unable to taste any.  Malts?  Check.  Chocolate?  Check.  Coffee?  Check.  Nuts?  Check.  Coconut? ...... Coconut?  Sorry, but coconut seems to be AWOL.  The beer drinks like a chocolaty, nutty, sweetened iced coffee. Really nice.

Maui Brewing Company
910 Honoapiilani Highway #55
Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761
http://www.mauibrewingco.com/mbc/MBCHome.html

No comments:

Post a Comment