Greetings

Dallas has few diversions other than eating, drinking and shopping.....and shopping does not interest us.
So we spend our time hopping from restaurant to restaurant and to every pub that we can find in search of the perfect meal and the perfect beer.

We randomly review restaurants and bars, dishes and beers at whim and give our brutally honest opinions of our findings. And while we concentrate on Dallas, we travel far and wide to sample cuisine from all regions of the country and beyond.



Saturday, February 7, 2015

Ballast Point Event at the Bird

The Snobs were invited to attend the Ballast Point Beer and Spirits event at the Bird Cafe in Fort Worth.  Our very own Flanders Redale attending and hereafter are his thoughts and musings. - Bon

Hiddely-ho people of beer!

Yours truly got a special invitation to an event out at Bird Cafe in Fort Worth on Wednesday 2/4/14. Normally Fort Worth is a bit far to stray for this good Dallas boy, but it was an invitation too good to pass up. Ballast Point had a combination tap takeover and mixology event, and I was lucky enough to sample some of both offerings.
Ballast Point has always made delicious (Victory at Sea) and fascinating (Indra Kunindra) beers, and I was not disappointed with the choices. Piper Down is not an uncommon beer, but it is something that I hadn't tried until this event. A delectable Scotch ale, it will be on my list to acquire for the beer fridge in the near future. I'd also love to find room for the Sextant Oatmeal Stout...but I doubt anything out of a bottle will compare to it on nitro. Thick, perfect pour with all sorts of mouth feel...I was tempted to ask them to just put my head under the tap.
Then I got to the cocktail menu. As delicious as it sounded, I passed on The Dude Imbibes (Fugu habanero vodka, espresso-vanilla cream, and almost a full pour of Sextant) in order to try the San Diego Street Cart and the Remember the Padre. Elotes (Mexican street corn) is one of my guilty pleasures, and with Ancho Chili liqueur, lime, egg white and corn water, this drink sounded like a moonshine-liquified meal in a glass. It was quite good, though I would have liked to try it with an aged whiskey (like the Devil's Share Bourbon) instead of the moonshine. Remember the Padre was a rum-based play on the traditional Manhattan, with cherry brandy and absinthe to add additional complexity. While delicious, I would have loved to taste this with a whiskey instead of the Three Sheets aged rum.


The real star for me, however, was the location. As I mentioned, I don't venture to Funkytown all that often, so I was not aware of the Bird Cafe. It exudes more of a cocktail bar vibe than a beer bar, but that doesn't mean beer is an afterthought. Any place with Christmas Bomb! on tap and Black Crack and Prairie Noir in the cellar has some serious designs on beer. It did not surprise me to learn that the owners of Bird Cafe also own Meddlesome Moth in the Design District, among other notable local restaurants. The charcuterie board my fellow bar denizens ordered looked delicious, and the menu left me drooling.

The next time you find yourself in Sundance Square and in search of a beer, don't immediately default to the Flying Saucer. Give Bird Cafe a try...I suspect you will not be disappointed.
- Flanders Redale

The Bird Cafe
155 E. 4th and Commerce
Fort Worth, TX 76102
Mon - Thurs: 11am to Midnight
Fri & Sat: 11am to 2am
Sunday: 10am to 10pm
Tel. 817-332-2473


Ballast Point Brewing and Spirits
9045 Carroll Way
San Diego, CA 92121
Offices: (858) 790-6900
Restaurant: (858) 790-6901



No comments:

Post a Comment