Greetings

Dallas has few diversions other than eating, drinking and shopping.....and shopping does not interest us.
So we spend our time hopping from restaurant to restaurant and to every pub that we can find in search of the perfect meal and the perfect beer.

We randomly review restaurants and bars, dishes and beers at whim and give our brutally honest opinions of our findings. And while we concentrate on Dallas, we travel far and wide to sample cuisine from all regions of the country and beyond.



Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Beer Review - Hopfen Weiss

Hopfen Weiss - abv 8.2%

I must admit that my favorite summer brew list is topped by the weisse beers.  Filtered, unfiltered, hefe, weiss, wit, wheat, white, German, Belgian, American....any kind, I don't care.  Their malted barley and lightly carbonnated deliciousness can easily be my main course for a meal on a hot summer day.  My favorite of them all is Schneider Weiss from the G. Schneider and Sons brewery in Munich.  So one day, while munching brats at my favorite german restaurant, I spied a Schneider that I have not seen before....the yellow and blue label standing out among my old standards.  Gotta have it, gimme. 
This bastard son of a bizarre collaboration between Schneider and the Brooklyn Brewery has produced a superb hybrid of Weiss and Bock beers.  The unfiltered yeast bits floating around in the lightly carbonnated brew add to its meatyness, making it a meal in a bottle.It is very rich, very complex and will keep your taste buds interested from beginning to end and covers the high alcohol content so well that I was surprised at my buzz.  The only downside is that it is a bit sweet and leads to a quick case of 'beer mouth'.  Enjoy it while you can.

No comments:

Post a Comment