Greetings

Dallas has few diversions other than eating, drinking and shopping.....and shopping does not interest us.
So we spend our time hopping from restaurant to restaurant and to every pub that we can find in search of the perfect meal and the perfect beer.

We randomly review restaurants and bars, dishes and beers at whim and give our brutally honest opinions of our findings. And while we concentrate on Dallas, we travel far and wide to sample cuisine from all regions of the country and beyond.



Sunday, October 30, 2011

Beer Review - Rahr Octoberfest

Rahr and Sons Octoberfest - 7.5% ABV

I have been accused recently of having a bias against Texas beers.  The accuser went on to say that most of the Texas beers that I have rated as poor were perfectly fine beers and that I was just being an ass.  Allrightythen.  Let me defend myself for a second.  Every person that enjoys drinking beer has one label that he/she prefers.  It it simply a matter of personal taste.  My personal taste is that I like balanced beers with full flavor and my confronter apparently likes watery, overcarbonated brews.  Neither is correct or incorrect, it just is.

So in order to mollify Bubba, let me tell you about a Texas produced beer that I do enjoy drinking.  Rahr and Sons Octoberfest is described by Rahr as "a traditional Marzen-style Oktobefest lager - dark amber in color, super smooth, medium body with a sweet malty finish. True to tradition, this is a classic Oktoberfest Lager."  For the life of me I did not get Marzen at all from the taste.  A bit sweet, a bit malty, a bit hoppy, but Marzen?  Not really. 

The color, taste and texture all say brown ale to me.  Dark mahogany colored, malty nose, full flavor and a bit too carbonated.  All in all a great session beer that I am happy to drink on any given day and in my opinion, the best beer that they brew.

Rahr and Sons Brewing Company
701 Galveston Avenue
Fort Worth, Texas 76104
http://www.rahrbrewing.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment